Balancing the Science-Society Relationship
Monday, March 22, 2010
3:30 - 5:00 p.m. | Room Big Ten B, Kellogg Hotel & Conference Center
- Alan I. Leshner, Ph.D.
- Chief Executive Officer, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Executive Publisher, Science
Dr. Leshner has been Chief Executive Officer of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and Executive Publisher of the journal Science since December 2001. AAAS was founded in 1848 and is the world's largest, multi-disciplinary scientific and engineering society.
Before coming to AAAS, Dr. Leshner was Director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) from 1994-2001. One of the scientific institutes of the U.S. National Institutes of Health, NIDA supports over 85% of the world's research on the health aspects of drug abuse and addiction.
Before becoming Director of NIDA, Dr. Leshner had been the Deputy Director and Acting Director of the National Institute of Mental Health. He went to NIMH from the National Science Foundation (NSF), where he held a variety of senior positions focusing on basic research in the biological, behavioral, and social sciences, science policy, and science education.
Dr. Leshner went to NSF after 10 years at Bucknell University, where he was Professor of Psychology. He has also held long-term appointments at the Postgraduate Medical School in Budapest, Hungary; at the Wisconsin Regional Primate Research Center; and as a Fulbright Scholar at the Weizmann Institute of Science in Israel. Dr. Leshner is the author of a major textbook on the relationship between hormones and behavior, and has published over 150 papers for both the scientific and lay communities on the biology of behavior, science and technology policy, science education, and public engagement with science.
Dr. Leshner received an undergraduate degree in psychology from Franklin and Marshall College, and M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in physiological psychology from Rutgers University. He also has been awarded six honorary Doctor of Science degrees. Dr. Leshner is an elected fellow of AAAS, the National Academy of Public Administration, the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, and many other professional societies. He is a member of the Institute of Medicine of the National Academies of Science and Vice-Chair of its governing council. The U.S. President appointed Dr. Leshner to the National Science Board in 2004. He is also a member of the advisory committee to the Director of NIH.
Video of the Presentation
This NCSUE event was co-sponsored by:
- Department of Neuroscience
- The Graduate School
- Department of Astronomy & Physics
- Cyber-Enabled Research Institute
- College of Natural Science
- College of Agriculture & Natural Resources
- Michigan Agricultural Experiment Station
- Michigan State University Extension
- College of Engineering
- College of Veterinary Medicine
- Department of Radiology
- Lyman Briggs College
- Liberty Hyde Bailey Scholars Program
- Kellogg Biological Station
- Clinical and Translational Sciences Institute
- Vice President for Research & Graduate Studies
- Environmental Science & Policy Program
- Center for Research on College Science Teaching and Learning
- Honors College
- School of Journalism
- The Knight Center for Environmental Journalism
- College of Communication Arts and Sciences